A Handy Guide to Power Outages in Southern Maryland
If you live in Southern Maryland, you have experienced the annoyance that is a power outage. Sometimes they come and go—a few minutes of inconvenience before the power company gets things back in order. But for many of us they can be a prolonged issue, forcing you to spend days in the dark.
Dealing with a prolonged power outage isn’t really an option, as we don’t have the luxury of putting our lives on pause because some woodland critter got a hankering for the power cords near our home.
Power out? Call John Goudie Electric at 301-609-9450 to turn it back on, or install a generator and never deal with power outages again!
Why Is My Power Out?
Power outages are often the product of one of many things:
- Inclement weather. Those of us who have been in the Maryland area long enough are quite familiar with this one. Lighting, high winds, ice, and rain can all cause long term power outages in high enough amounts.
- Traffic collisions. A vehicle can make quick work of a power line, leaving the surrounding area without power for hours or even days.
- Animals. Squirrels, birds and even raccoons have caused an outage or two in their time. These generally result in power outages that last for a few hours, but with enough damage it can be longer.
- Faulty wiring. Faulty wiring can easily short-circuit your home, causing an area’s power to turn off, or even the whole house to go dark.
Professional Assistance During a Power Outage
Home or business owners simply can’t deal without power for extended periods of time. For that reason being adequately prepared is pretty much a necessity. There are a few very effective ways to ensure you’re equipped to deal with a power loss.
Personal home generators are a perfect solution to loss of power in your home or business, as they ensure complete functionality regardless of calamity.
- Manual transfer switch generators. Manual transfer switch generators allow you to transfer the power use of your home to the generator at the flip of a switch. You can choose to power the entire structure, or to focus power consumption to the more important areas according to your needs.
- Standby generators. A standby generator immediately kicks into effect as soon as a power outage occurs, making sure your home or business doesn’t miss a beat.
For homeowners that lack a generator, or those just looking to be prepared for anything, here are a few tips for safety you may want to keep in mind.
- Keep flashlights, lanterns or candles handy. Kerosene lanterns and flashlights are ideal, but candles are cheap and can do in a pinch. Be sure to update your flashlight batteries yearly!
- Keep your fridge and freezer closed as much as possible. No one wants to lose a fridge full of food, and with minimal operation the food can last for a day just fine. Multiple days in the freezer.
- Keep a battery operated radio. Specifically for weather-related outages, it’s very important that you stay up to date for safety.
- Also on the point of safety, keep a stocked first-aid kit in your home and business.
Turn the Power Back on with John Goudie Electric
When your power goes out, you can count on us to diagnose the problem and help make sure it doesn’t happen again. We won’t leave your home until your satisfied, so contact us today for your generator installation or to turn your power back on after a power outage!