Ask Us About Our Financing Options Today!

Northern VA Heavy Ups & Electrical Panel Upgrades or Replacement

Call John Goudie Electric

Residential & Commercial Electrical Panel Upgrade or Heavy Up

Is Your Electrical Panel Adequate for Your Northern VA Home?

Four reasons to upgrade your electrical panel include:

  • It’s over 25 years old
  • It is unsafe
  • You have a fuse box
  • It’s not big enough for your electrical demand

Signs Your Northern VA Home Has Unsafe Electrical Panels

Northern VA has many older homes, and if your home is more than 25 years old, you will want to check for outdated electrical panels such as Federal Pacific, Zinsco, I-T-E Pushmatic, or GTE/Sylvania brand. These brands are not available anymore because of safety issues. If your home has one of these brands, we at John Goudie Electric recommend an immediate electric panel heavy up upgrade for your home and family’s safety.

If you have a fuse box, rather than a circuit breaker, the biggest danger is overloading the circuits, which can lead to tripped breakers, blown fuses and potentially dangerous shocks. Most fuse boxes handle between 30 and 60 amps of power, versus the 100 – 200 amps that the average Northern VA household requires today. This makes oversizing or attempting to bypass a fuse especially hazardous. We at John Goudie Electric recommend upgrading your electrical panel, if you live in a home that still has fuses.

When Your Northern VA Home May Need an Electrical Panel Upgrade or Heavy Up

  • You have just added new high-powered appliances: Whether you installed a new stove or a new hot tub, you should consult a John Goudie Electric professional about a heavy up electrical panel upgrade. After these new home additions, your electrical panel can usually no longer provide the minimum amount of electricity that your home needs daily.
  • Your lights flicker: You may need an electrical panel upgrade or heavy up if your breaker trips for no apparent reason or if your lights flicker when you turn on certain appliances. A heavy up will increase the amount of amperage in your home and also give you additional space in your panel to add more circuits.
  • Your current panel is more than 20 years old: If your current electrical panel is more than 20 years old, you may want to look into having a heavy up. Overloading the electrical panel in your home is a big fire hazard, and it’s easier to overload older panels.
  • You’re planning an expansion: If you’re planning a remodel or a renovation of your current home in Northern VA, you may need to add more amperage to cover additions. You have numerous options when it comes to heavy ups, and John Goudie Electric can help you decide how much extra power you’re going to need.
  • You use a lot of power: Whether you really deck the halls during the holidays or love hosting outdoor parties with lots of lighting, if you use a lot of power in your home, it is worth it to contact the experts at John Goudie Electric to make sure your electrical panel isn’t in danger of being overloaded.
  • Your circuit breakers frequently trip: This is a warning sign that your home might need an electrical upgrade.

What Is a Heavy Up Electrical Service Panel Upgrade?

A heavy up electrical panel upgrade increases electrical capacity usually needed when service to your home or business is remodeled, upgraded, or changed. Standard electrical panels can provide 100, 150, 200, 325, 400, 600, or 800 amps of power, allowing the potential for more circuits to be added. A panel upgrade is also performed to replace outdated electric panel equipment. A heavy up electrical panel upgrade improves the safety and reliability of your electrical system, adds value to your home or business, and gives you peace-of-mind.

We provide electrical service in the following Southern MD and Northern VA Areas: Waldorf – White Plains – La Plata – Hughesville – Southern MD – Charles County – Calvert County – St Mary’s County – Anne Arundel County – Prince George’s County  – Northern VA – Alexandria – Arlington – Fairfax – Fredericksburg – King George County